Knowing how to create your clothing line is one of the essential steps to taking your fashion business ideas from sketch to store shelves. But with so many facets to the process – from sourcing fabrics and manufacturers to marketing and selling your designs – it can be overwhelming to figure out where to begin.
Never fear! This two-part series will cover all the basics of starting your clothing line. From coming up with a strong concept and designing your first collection to finding the right manufacturing partners and getting your garments ready for market, we’ll ensure you have all the information you need to get started on the right foot.
What You Need to Get Started
Starting your clothing line can be daunting, but it’s also an enriching experience. To get started on the right foot, there are a few key things you’ll need:
- A strong concept: This is what will set your clothing line apart from the rest and give it a unique voice and identity. Think about what kind of designs you want to create, who your target market is, and what types of garments they would be interested in purchasing.
- A well-designed collection: Once you have a concept in mind, it’s time to start designing! This is where you’ll get to flex your creative muscles and bring your vision to life. Make sure your designs are not only fashionable but also well-constructed, so they’ll stand up to wear and tear.
- A reliable manufacturing partner: Unless you’re planning on sewing all of your garments yourself (in which case, kudos to you!), you’ll need to find a manufacturing partner to help you bring your designs to life. Do your research to find a reputable and trustworthy company that can produce high-quality garments at both a price point that makes sense for your business and at a minimum order quantity (none if possible) that makes sense.
- Marketing and sales resources: Once your clothing line is up and running, you’ll need to start marketing and selling your products. This can be done through various channels, including online stores, brick-and-mortar retailers, pop-up shops, and trunk shows. Make sure you have a solid plan for getting your garments into customers’ hands. There are some partners that will also take care of marketing for you, so if this is something you’re not skilled in doing (and don’t want to invest time to learn this skill), this might be a good option to consider.
How to Choose the Right Products to Sell
Choosing which products to sell is one of the most important decisions when starting your clothing line. Not all garments are created equal; some will be more successful than others, depending on your target market and chosen sales channels. Here are a few things to keep in mind when selecting the products you’ll sell:
- Fashionability: First and foremost, your garments need to be fashionable. This may seem like a no-brainer, but making sure your designs are on-trend and appealing to your target market is essential. Keeping up with current fashion trends will help you stay ahead of the competition and ensure that your garments are in high demand.
- Functionality: Besides being fashionable, your garments should also be functional. This means they should be well-constructed and able to stand up to wear and tear. Consider the materials you’ll use carefully to ensure they’re up to the task, and pay close attention to the details like buttons, zippers, and seams.
- Price point: Another important consideration is the price point. You’ll need to find a balance between making a profit on your garments and selling them at an affordable price for your target market. Keep an eye on the competition to see what prices they’re charging for similar products, and make sure your prices align with the market.
Starting your clothing line is a big undertaking but also a gratifying experience. With hard work and dedication, you can launch a successful clothing line that you’re proud of. By following the steps outlined in this article, you’ll be well on your way to making your fashion dreams a reality.
OloBird can help you get started on your clothing line journey with ease! We handle everything from product development to manufacturing and shipping, so you can focus on building your brand. With no minimum order quantity required, we can help you get started with as little or as much as you need. Check out www.olobird.com to learn more!